Newton-Brookline Asylum Resettlement Committee
The NBARC (www.nb-arc.com) is an interfaith group of six congregations working together to provide community-based support to asylum seekers. We began as a “ Cluster” working with Refugee Immigration Ministries (RIM) based in Malden, MA. We work closely with RIM, and are also developing relationships with other organizations. RIM continues to recommend clients for us to assist, perform CORI checks for our volunteers, and provide insurance. Donations to RIM are held in an account dedicated for NBARC's use in assisting asylum seekers.
NBARC provides, or helps find, housing, food, clothing, English language instruction, daycare, education, and opportunities for community engagement to asylum-seekers. We work with them from the time they submit their asylum claim until they obtain work authorization, find employment and become self supporting. For more on what asylum is, and the life-and-death issues that asylum-seekers face, see our Resources page.
We are currently helping three families from Cameroon, Ethiopia, and Iraq. For more information on the work we have been doing, please see our Clients page.
We rent an apartment for our clients -- at below market rates from a very generous landlord. We also place clients with volunteers who welcome asylum seekers into their homes for a limited amount of time. To learn more, please see our Housing page here.
In addition, we give each family a monthly allowance for food and other necessities. No money goes to administrative expenses, not even to fundraising, as we are entirely volunteer-run. All our funding comes from donations, and it is all used to support our clients. If you would like to give, there are several ways to make a tax deductible contribution:
- Venmo: we are @NBARC
- donor-advised funds: send funds to Temple Reyim, 1860 Washington St, Newton, MA 02466, designated for NBARC
- by check to one of our member congregations, specifying NBARC as the recipient: Please contact the congregation's representative on the Steering Committee for guidance.
- by check to the NBARC Fund at Temple Reyim, made out to: Temple Reyim - Newton-Brookline Asylum Resettlement Fund, and send it to Temple Reyim, 1860 Washington St, Newton, MA 02466
- check to Refugee Immigration Ministries (RIM) with designation for NBARC (www.r-i-m.net)
- credit card (we pay a small fee): click the Donate button below (this may not work in Firefox; works well in Chrome)
Please contact email@example.com or a member of the steering committee with any questions.
Note that credit card donations are processed through Temple Reyim, but are used in their entirety to fund clients of the Newton-Brookline Asylum Resettlement Committee.